Pierre Bayard’s article conjured up a traumatic childhood memory of mine: during a systematic interrogation of her pupil’s reading habits, my year-five teacher reduced me to tears with the question “how often do you read, Lisa?” At 11 years old, reading was synonymous with homework (which I skillfully avoided), and I hardly considered myself a ‘reader’. But it took being humiliated in front of my peers – who’d each just boasted between and 1-2 hours of passionate nightly reading – to realise what a damning prognosis it is to be a ‘non-reader’.
This is exactly the kind of social dilemma described in Bayard’s book How To Talk About Books You Haven’t Read. In it, he charts a web of his own emotional responses – dominated by humiliation and shame – that reveals a kind of existential angst bound within the practice of ‘non-reading’. Indeed, I find this anxiety flourishes in numerous everyday scenarios; when choosing between reading and a myriad of other mutually exclusive activities like writing, talking, eating, sleeping or breathing; when realising that the opportunity cost of opening a book is probably equivalent to a smoking a cigarette – knocking three minutes per page off your lifespan; when feeling your own sense of self and originality eroding as you ingest the works of others; or simply when – as it sometimes happens – four or more books appear together…in a pile…
I can’t help but reduce this idea into two conflicting spheres of reading: social and personal. Bayard seems to cite the social, in which books function as accessories, impressing friends with their volume and air of difficulty. As an example, if I merely skim What Maisie Knew*, and the act of reading is divorced from any sense of personal benefit and motivated entirely by avoiding humiliation during tutorials, then clearly I’m operating within Bayard’s social, performative world of books. But are we always reading for either others or ourselves, exclusively?
It similarly boils down to systematisation versus immersion. On the microscopic end of the spectrum are the details and nuances of a book, the experience of allowing a text to become a microcosm of the whole. At the other end is a seemingly impossible mastery of that whole, a ‘science’ of books. This is epitomised by the character of the omnipresent Librarian, whose reading-abstinence exudes the kind of holier-than-thou approach of someone who might claim to have read every single book. “Anyone who lets himself go and starts reading a book is lost as a librarian,” he says, sounding like a drug dealer tempted to sample his own junk.
But is such exhaustiveness really more culturally admirable than “the accumulation of isolated bits of knowledge?” If I take a world trip on an airplane, but never actually touch down on land to become ‘lost in detail’, then isn’t that a big fat waste of a ticket? Surely it’s more rewarding to learn 3 books by heart than know a couple of general facts about 10,000.
So how’s this for a bind: if you’re not mastering the whole (for social kudos) or submitted to squandering time actually ‘reading’ (for personal enjoyment), then you’re doomed to float in Bayard’s ‘non-reader’ limbo, where no book is ever really completed, and our experiences of them are classified into a system of plus and minus signs. (Oh God, there’s that angst again!)
However, by blurring the demarcation between ‘have read’ and ‘haven’t read’, Bayard does go some way to alleviating my ‘non-reader’ guilt, validating intellectual laziness with his schema of literary avoidance. So thank you, Bayard, for helping to repair a childhood trauma and for letting me off the book – sorry, the hook.
*(UB ++)
Lisa, I too felt 'let off the hook' by Bayard's argument. If there's one thing this course has shown me so far, it's the importance of grey areas. We can't get so caught up in 'have read' and 'haven't read' dichotomies and forget that the process of reading actually has many different manifestations. What does it mean, for example, to skim a book? To read the first three chapters? To get bored right before the end and not finish it? For my part I'm inclined to think these processes as important elements of a person's reading identity. I'm not suggesting that not finishing a book and then talking authoritatively about it is a good thing; rather, that we need to value our engagement with these processes in order to understand ourselves as readers and learners in the literary domain.
ReplyDeleteHi Lisa, reading your post make me think about what you would learn if you read What Maisie Knew purely for pleasure instead of skimming it for ENGL 3655. Would you know it better than someone would recited and repeated all the ‘objectively accurate’ notions of the text? I think by transforming the meanings of texts into performances of cultural capital and social kudos we are missing, rather than accessing their ‘true meaning’. However, I do agree with your point that Bayard does a lot in alleviating the panic felt at that awful moment when you realise you know just enough to know how much you don’t know. Looking forward to reading your next post!
ReplyDeleteI agree with this alleviation of panic that Bayard's argument presents. Myself I'm a fan of 'chunking' a text. For essays, not for personal enjoyment. I glance down chunks of text flipping pages and doing 'extractions' of material.
ReplyDeleteThis really struck home with questioning the reasons why we read. There are so many tutorials where no one has read the set text, and sometimes, where it has only been skimmed to avoid embarrassment.
ReplyDeleteI have no doubt that all the people in these classes love reading, that is, reading the books they enjoy. And that highlights for me just how personal reading is.
Unlike Bayard, I am definitely an advocate for 'getting lost' in the language of a novel. I think that it is the best way to grasp the 'true essence' of a text - it's almost like a religious experience.
ReplyDeleteAs a disclaimer, I will say that I do 'skim' a lot of my uni readings - intro, first sentence of each argument and conclusion does the trick.
Bayard made me feel uneasy. I know elements of what he said were supposed to be taken relatively lightly, as Melissa said. But doesn't skimming count as cheating of some sort? It just feels so dishonest to me (I'm not saying you guys are dishonest, its just this weird internal feeling I get). I would rather not read something than read bits of it, if I do I sit in tutorials nervously sweating (and thus sweating more because I'm anxious that I'm sweating...). The article just reaffirmed my anxiety over never being able to read every text that people talk about, I didn't actually learn how to talk about books I haven't read. I'm such a bad liar that I probably never will!
ReplyDeleteI think your piece was cute... I especially liked the comparison between cigarettes, books and one's lifespan. I think that people try to impress all the time about knowledge, what they've read, what their thoughts are all the time. But the majority of the time, people like this, seem to waste more time revising self devised scripts of knowledge than they do actually picking up another book. Too many people get away with talking about books they haven't read because t=most of us do not read to the extent that we should.
ReplyDeleteparticularly enjoyed your examples in the article - you must of had a lot of fun thinking them up.
ReplyDeleteim utterly impartial to reading but im utterly committed to understanding what i read if that makes any sense - this is what i feel bayard is trying to get at.
why read all the books in the world when you can't understand a thing?